What are dental veneers?
Dental veneers (also known as porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates) are wafer-thin shells made from either porcelain or a resin composite. They are bonded to the front surfaces of teeth to improve the appearance of tooth shape, colour, size, and alignment.
When are dental veneers used?
Dental veneers can assist in creating a straight, symmetrical, white smile and are an ideal solution for people wanting to improve the appearance of:
- Teeth that are discoloured due to root canal treatment, stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride, or the presence of large resin fillings
- Worn down teeth
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped teeth
- Teeth with unsightly gaps between them
What are the benefits of dental veneers?
Dental veneers offer cosmetic benefits to people wanting to improve the appearance of their teeth, such as:
- They offer dynamic colour variation and translucency that mimics the appearance of tooth enamel to create a natural-looking smile.
- They are made of biocompatible material that gum tissue usually tolerates well.
- They require minimal tooth shaping during the fitting procedure; approximately half a millimetre of enamel from the front of the tooth is removed.
- They can be fitted during a painless procedure and often without anaesthetic.
- They are stain-resistant.
- They do not require a separate or special cleaning routine.
- They can last up to 15 years, depending on the type of veneer selected and how well the veneers are maintained.
- They are often less expensive than other dental solutions for improving the appearance of teeth, such as dental crowns and orthodontic braces.
Veneers are not a good choice for individuals who clench and grind their teeth; have unhealthy, weakened teeth; or have an inadequate amount of existing enamel on the tooth surface. Your initial consultation at Lakes Boulevard Dental will confirm your suitability.